State Bank of Odell Laundry Room
The State Bank of Odell is sponsoring the laundry room. This room is located upstairs on the north side of the building. The Innkeeper will be able to do all the laundry for the Bed & Breakfast on site. The laundry flooring is new tile which is somewhat of a replica of the original tile that the Doctor put in the hospital when he built it. The washer/drier was donated by the Gary and Mary Jo Bures family.
The State Bank of Odell was chartered on May 17th, 1907 by Thomas W. Stanosheck, Mr. Stanosheck had, however, been a resident of Odell since 1884, coming to the new town of Odell from Iowa City, Iowa, where he was born in 1859 to Albert and Pauline Stanosheck. Upon first coming to Odell, Mr. Stanosheck and his brother, Frank, operated a general merchandise store until 1897. Mr. Stanosehck devoted most of his time to his own affairs and business investments until opening the new bank. The ability to speak four languages and understand three others aided Mr. Stanosheck in working with the many different ethnic groups in the community. Among the original stockholders of the State Bank of Odell were: Chris Riggert, C.C. Gafford, T.R. Comer, August Riggert, J.A. McGuire, F.H. Riggert, Albert Sohl, Frank Masek, Dr. I.N. Pickett, Henry Rengstorf, Tony Hirmon, J.B. Renard, L.E. Callan, Ernest Loemker, James Colgrove, A.O. Burkett, Frank Hirmon, D.D. McGuire, J.E. Murphy.
The first location for the State Bank of Odell was the northwest corner of Main and Perry Streets in the building which had formerly housed the J.D. Meyers Bank. The limestone structure still stands as one of Odell’s landmarks. The fourth generation of the family, Lawrence W. Stanosheck, son of Gene, entered the bank’s employment in 1965, and another son, James B. began in 1974. Both Lawrence and James are now with the bank and serve as vice-president and president. The bank was in posession of the Rice Hospital when renovations began. The bank donated the building to the Odell Community Foundation so tax free funds could be raised for the restoration and then the Odell Community Foundation donated the building to the Village of Odell. The Village owns the Rice Lodge, however, no Village funds were ever used to restore the building or pay for any operating bills.