Odell’s Rice Lodge South Wing Suite is located in the south wing on the top level.  Dr. Rice had this wing built in 1932, about 3 years after the rest of the hospital.  This area was the living quarters for the doctor and his wife and it is where they raised their only child, a son, Lee.  It consists of 2 bedrooms with antique (new mattresses) full size beds, a bathroom, a full kitchen and a very large living room.  The Suite also has its own private entry from the west or another entry from the east parking lot.  

The south wing suite rooms are sponsored by several families:  The kitchen is sponsored by the Kochs; Arlin & Marlys Koch and Gary & Teresa Koch.  The living room is sponsored by the Beran Family.  The Beran family consists of members of the Joseph and Josephine Beran family.  Joseph and Josephine were born in the region of Bohemia now known as the Czech Republic and immigrated to America in 1892.  They were married in Chicago and came to settle in Nebraska in 1893, becoming the parents of Mary, Joe, Frank, Emil, Ernest, Elsie, and Miles.  They lived in the Odell area for the remainder of their years.

One of the bedrooms is sponsored by the Rockemann family. Valiska Meister arrived in America as a 3 year old in 1898. Her family made their home in Nemaha County, Nebraska. This is where William Rockemann and Valiska were married in 1914 at St. James Lutheran Church. Their children were Deloma, Ralph, Delmar, Delphine, Delbert, Lorain, Bob, Donetta and Ben. The family lived at the Stanosheck farm from 1947-1968. William, Valiska and several of their children lived out their lives living in Odell and surrounding area.

The other bedroom is sponsored by the Adams Family.  It is to be known as The Ervin and Velora Adam room. The family heirloom bedroom set in the room was graciously provided by the family of Bill Duis (Ervin Adam’s uncle).  Displays in the room recognize the heritage of the Adam and Klaus families each of which have been a part of the Odell community since the 1880’s.  Ervin and Velora (Klaus) Adam were married on June 15, 1952, and are the parents of Roger, Beverly (Loges), Jim, and Shirley (Wiechman).  They initially made their home on the August Adam family farm SW of Odell.  In 1960 they left the farm and built a new home in Lanham.   The house was constructed almost entirely (lumber, bricks, flooring, siding, etc.) from material reclaimed from the old Odell elementary school building.  At this same time, Ervin joined his brother Albert in the welding / blacksmithing business, which quickly expanded to include plumbing, electrical, and HVAC contracting and service work.  Over the years, the Adam brothers were involved in many and varied endeavors in the Odell, Diller, and Hanover KS communities.  Jim Adam still owns and operates Adam’s Plumbing in Lanham, and he is one of many volunteers on the Rice Lodge restoration project.